Friday, July 08, 2005

ptsuh-tsuh-tsuh

lots of little greek ladies do this funny thing where they fake spit on you, and they say “na sas eesai” (something very nice, I surmise). I cannot tell you exactly how many times we’ve been spat-upon, but it started during the last week of my pregnancy, and has continued every time I go out with lucas. I heard it’s a superstitious behavior… from Costas the friendly neighborhood passport photo-guy, but he didn’t know what this spitting action prevented or caused. so I looked it up: http://www.europeans.co.za/cafeneio/superstitions.htm

It’s such a strange culture that takes a lot of getting used to, but we have started appreciating their quirks & recognize that we will probably miss it if we ever end up moving away.

Because all these little sweet ladies stop me on the street, in the supermarket, and on the bus and ask me something (which I answer as his age, and that he’s very nice… regardless of what they ask – who can tell?) and I get broad smiles and good wishes and lots of them grab his stocking feet for a tender tug. Some of them want to know more, and I sheepishly say that I dont understand and I am sorry. Most times they repeat it, but it doesn’t help. I have figured out a smile and a hello or thanks is the best answer to every little lady with a smile.

2 Comments:

At 9:02 AM, Blogger Marie Brannon said...

sweet little ladies who oooh and aaah and tug at the feetsies of tiny babies have been around for millenia, beff. welcome to motherhood.

and you are exactly right -- it doesn't much matter what they are saying (in any language). a smile and a "thank you" is all they really expect.

it'll get even better as he gets older and cuter.

wish i was around to do more tugging and ooooohing.

mom

 
At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just managing to catch up on your blog, but wanted to let you know that lots of Mexican women would stop me in the grocery store and tug and goggle over martha. also met lots of anglo women that were offended if you didn't ask permission to touch their child and wash your hands with antibacterial soap first. weird....
congrats by the way and happy mothering!!! you are a natural...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home