Tuesday, May 03, 2005

let me catch my breath!


I am officially beginning my NINTH MONTH of preggyhood today. My mom pointed this out to me on the phone yesterday when I told her I had 5 or 6 weeks left, and she questioned my accounting of the matter. I have been known to mis-count things before (remember the first due date miscalculation? Haha, good times good times) so she is right to check my math. May 3rd to june 3rd is precisely one month by her method of counting.

I am starting to feel more and more like a baby-vehicle instead of a person, and since he’s literally crowding my lungs I do feel a little out-of-breath these days… doc says its normal, and that he’s only slightly larger than average now. Mr. Little Le Sager is 5-lbs now, and I have heard he will grow a LOT MORE this month.. I asked my doc to show me how much bigger I would get by holding his hand out over my belly, and it just didn’t seem feasible. Maybe that’s one of the reasons they call this a miracle.

On Sunday afternoon we put the crib together and I got all emotional as we listened to the Winnie-the-pooh tunes coming out of the lighted musical crib-side hanger. This is actually happening, y’all!. I looked at my huge egg-of-a-belly, and then at the empty mattress and then again at my belly, and knew it wouldn’t be long before we saw our kid in that crib. .. and waking up in the middle of the night for him.

Sunday was also Easter Sunday here and Philippe had Monday off because of it. We bought 6 bright red-dyed boiled eggs and did the traditional wishes & cracking-thing they do here. Philippe’s wishes are going to come true this year, as his egg cracked my egg on 3 different occasions. And we were going to go to the church at midnight on Saturday night for the fireworks and chanting and candle-lighting processions, but we nodded off around 1130. oops. oh well.

As a side note, I was really struck by how easter is really a religious holiday here, no chocolate bunnies and egg hunts, just people at church all week and steeped in Christian symbolism .. blood and body and light of Christ and all that. I wasn’t raised catholic, so I wondered if it was just all the catholic ceremony that’s so foreign to me, or if it’s really different. Philippe said it was probably a little of both.

Posted by Hello

8 Comments:

At 5:39 AM, Blogger noriichan said...

You look beautiful.

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I think christmas will come early this year. Looks like a lovely morning.

 
At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with noriichan!!!!!!!
Looking forward to seeing you both, I mean all three, whee!!!
We will be glad to rent the car for the period we are there or at least share the cost.

Love you very much,

"Papa" jim

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Mari said...

you are an amazingly lovely mama-to-be!

Um..do you guys have a microwave there?

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Claire said...

Great picture... You've got that lovely toothpick + olive of a first time mom look going!

Cant wait to come see all y'all later this year. :-)

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Pat said...

i must not have been paying attention. congratulations on your impending motherhood. your life will be changed in profound ways. and yes, you do look beautiful.

 
At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, sweet Bethany, you are just too precious - how wonderfully nice it is to see pictures of you with a belly! You look so content and happy...I am so thrilled about this momentous occassion in your life.

Lots of love and prayers to you, Philippe and your precious baby. Talk to you soon.
-Rebecca Benson

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey bethany - glad to see that you are doing so well. everyone here in houston is rooting you on & misses you. best of luck with the impending birth...
Amy Dinn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home